So I'm drawing up a checklist of reasons to keep books, with the idea being that a book that checks none of the boxes will go. Here's what I've got so far -- anyone got any other reasons for keeping books?
- flick or I will probably want to (re-)read it some time
- flick or I might want to (re-)read it some time, and it would be hard to repurchase/get an electronic version
- The book is rare or valuable
- The book is an attractive or interesting object in its own right
- The book has sentimental value, or has a story attached to it
- flick or I might want to lend it to someone else
- It's a reference book
- It's currently wedged under a piece of furniture to stop it wobbling
(According to the catalogue, we currently have 4,229 books. And I reckon the space each book occupies costs around £20 at current London property prices.)
ETA: The library is online here.